George and Gabriel Walling
Gabriel Walling was born in Versailles, France and his father served in the Revolutionary War. Gabriel, a lawyer from Iowa and a veteran of the War of 1812, settled with his family on his 640 acre donation land claim in 1849. His property, which included one-half mile of Willamette River frontage, was approximately halfway between Linn City and Oswego. This area later became known as the Robinwood Neighborhood in West Linn. Gabriel Walling later served as a territorial legislator and helped frame the first laws in Oregon. He also served as a judge for Clackamas County.
Gabriel’s cousin, George Washington Walling (December 18, 1818 – June 10, 1891) was born in Ohio, moved with his parents to Iowa in 1828 and moved to Oregon City in 1847. He settled on his 640-acre claim next to Gabriel’s in 1848, just downriver toward Oswego where the present day Cedaroak boat ramp is located. George was a nurseryman by trade. He is known for developing the Major Francis Cherry and the Champion Prune. George Walling also served as Clackamas County School Superintendent for 15 years.
George Walling’s interest in education started at a time when his oldest son was enrolled in the Concord School District across the Willamette River. Walling did not relish the idea of his son having to row across the river each day to go to school and became a member of the school board.
George Walling’s son Albert learned the nursery business from his father and finally took over the business. The Walling Farm was augmented by additional purchases of land. Part of the farm was sold to the builders of Marylhurst College. The old Walling home served as a dormitory for students for many years.