West Linn Incorporation
SUGGESTED NAMES FOR THE "NAME THE NEW CITY" CONTEST
INCORPORATION OF WEST LINN
In May 1913, the West Side Improvement Club met in the parlors of the Oregon City Commercial Club and voted 50 to 7 in favor of incorporating the districts of West Oregon City, Bolton, Sunset and Willamette. They cited the need for utilities and other improvements.
Mr. B. T. McBain, representative of the Crown Columbia Paper Company, offered $5.00 for the best name for the proposed town. Originally, all suggested names were voted down, then they reconsidered and settled on Millsburg, suggested by J. Nichols.
After a week of argument because very few people liked the name Millsburg, the name of the new city was changed to West Linn on June 27, 1913. The name was selected to honor the old pioneer town of Linn City.
Incorporation papers were presented to the County Court and incorporation occurred on August 15, 1913.